Don Bender & Justin Fox – Deck Design & Installations/ Earthquake Retrofit – H20109045
September 25 @ 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Deck and Balcony Safety: Design, Construction & Inspection Essentials/ Earthquake Retrofit
A quick Google search of deck collapse yields a trove of video clips, images, and stories of
deck structures gone awry leading to injury and loss. Clearly, there is a need to improve deck
safety. Attendees will learn about the research and findings behind IRC requirements for
fastener spacing for ledgers, deck attachment for lateral loads, and resisting guard live loads.
Also, the basics of wood and fastener durability will be covered.
• Identify the most critical parts of a deck structure that affect the safety
• Learn about wood decay and preservative treated lumber and protection of fasteners from
• Learn about the research behind IRC requirements for fastener spacing for ledgers and
deck attachment to resist lateral loads
• Learn about research to determine guard live loads and construction.
Deck installation errors (2)
Seismic Retrofit (2)
Earn 4 hrs Ce Credit
ASHI WA Tips for Taking Online Classes
(Unfamiliar with Zoom online meeting tool? You do not have to have a Zoom account to attend a Zoom meeting. You will be prompted to download the software, once you have clicked on the link that you have been provided via your email address. You may also wish to create an account, but that is not required to participate in a Zoom meeting.)
- Treat an online course like a “real” course.
- Hold yourself accountable.
- ASHIW WA commitment to quality, three interactive roll calls will occur.
1- At the course commencement
2- Upon our return from break
Failure to respond to any roll call event will result in your inability to qualify for CE credit certification. NO EXCEPTIONS
- Practice time management, courses will stay on tempo – start and finish as published.
- Eliminate distractions, set up for success
- Actively participate, use chat.
- The event will be recorded for accuracy and accountability.